mardi 21 octobre 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Top New Series I Want To Start



This week's theme: Top New Series I Want To Start (New... let's say within the last year or two).

Top New Series I Want To Start

Mick Oberon by Ari Marmell
 
A new urban fantasy which has had a lot of positive buzz, set in 1930s Chicago with jazz, fae and a true hard-boiled detective.
 

 
Millenium’s Rule by Trudi Canavan
 
I have been a fan of Canavan since the Black Magician trilogy, but haven’t really kept up with her output recently. Thief’s Magic, first book in the Millenium’s Rule trilogy, seemed like a good jumping back-in point.
 

 
Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z Martin
 
This urban fantasy series spans multiple decades and involves a curio shop tasked with acquiring and neutralizing dangerous supernatural items. What’s not to like?!
 

 
Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone

An older series on the list, one that has a huge amount of positive reviews, and a nice legal twist on the epic fantasy genre. I’m hoping to start on the first book in a few weeks.
 

 
Kick Lannigan by Chelsea Cain

A thriller series about a former abductee working to help other abductees while struggling with PTSD from her own abduction, this looks like an interesting twist on the mystery/thriller genre.
 

 
The Paper Magician Trilogy by Charlie N Holmberg

I came across this one through Netgalley and it sounds like it could be just what I’ve been looking for to scratch that Harry Potter itch... plus paper, glass and metal magic!
 

 
The Borden Dispatches by Cherie Priest

Another author who I’ve heard a lot about but never got around to reading. The Borden Dispatches (the first novel is Maplecroft) sounds like a good place to start, what with its historical take on demon hunting, surrounding a woman who killed her own parents with an axe because they were possessed...
 

 
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

One of the most highly rated fantasy debuts of the year, City of Stairs is the beginning of a series by an author more well known for supernatural thrillers than epic fantasy. Looking forward to getting my teeth into this one!
 

 
Endgame by James Frey and Nils Johnson-Shelton

I’m wary of this one due to the amount of hype building up around it by the publisher. Still it sounds like it could be a fun YA sci-fi novel in the mold of Hunger Games, so we’ll see...
 

 
Chronicle of the Fallers by Peter F Hamilton

A bit of a cheat this one, since Chronicle of the Fallers is actually a follow up to Hamilton’s Commonwealth sequence, but it is a duology in and of its own, so I’m allowing myself the exception. Plus I am REALLY looking forward to this!

4 commentaires:

  1. I've seen the Paper Magician on Kindle Unlimited and I was curious about it. I hope it's good... I'm also frequently looking for stories to scratch the Harry Potter itch. Happy reading!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thanks. I found it through Netgalley and it looked really interesting. Not sure when I'll get around to it, but I'll let you know what I think: Thanks for the comment!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Joel! Wow, I haven't read of any of these series, so you've given me more reading material to consider. I'm off to check out some of these titles.

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. You're welcome! Hope you find something that you will enjoy. Thanks for leaving a comment!

      Supprimer